12.13.2011

Lauren's Cowl

I knit this cowl for my best friend's birthday a few years ago and was so happy to hear that it was her new favorite thing!  It uses one of my favorite stitch patterns in a very simple repeat and showcases the lovely Silk Blend by Manos really well. 

Yarn:
DK weight yarn (approximately 150 yards)

Needles:
US #8 (5.00 mm) - 16 inch circular needle

General Pattern:
Cast on 96 stitches and join to knit in the round. Place a marker to indicate the beginning of the round.
Begin knitting in pattern across the row. You should complete 8 pattern repeats across the row (12 stitches x 8 reps = 96 sts total).  Follow the Chart from right to left for each row.
Complete Rows 1-8 of pattern 6 times (8 rows x 6 reps = 48 rows total).
Bind off loosely across row and weave in the ends. Block to open up lace pattern as needed.  Enjoy!


Chart:

K = Knit
P = Purl
O = Yarn over
// = Knit two together
Grey box (worked over 6 stitches) = Slip first 3 stitches onto righthand needle. Knit into the front and back of next stitch and then knit next two stitches. Pass the three slipped stitches over the 4 stitches just worked.

©2011 Amy Mercer. All rights reserved. No part of this pattern may be reproduced in any form.
The written instructions, photographs, charts, and illustrations are intended for personal, non-commercial use.  Feel free to give away what you make, but please do not sell items made from this pattern. Thanks!

Like this post? See more! Connect with me on facebook, instagram, and pinterest!

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

Very, very beautiful! Thank you for sharing this!

Amy said...

Thank you so much! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Amy - this is so nice & I'm making it. Is the Y/O just moving the yarn to the back of the needles or should I wrap it around the needle assuming a slip purlwise? Thanks

Amy said...

Thanks so much! I'm glad you're making it! If you mean the YO on either side of the wrapped stitches, yes, you want to create an extra stitch there, so wrap your yarn around the needle. I know using a YO after a purl stitch can sometimes be a little awkward. The wrapped section reduced the stitch count by 2 stitches, so you need to work the YO on either side to "add" those stitches back. Give that a try and let me know if that explains it well enough. Cheers!

shannon.cassidy said...

Amy- This question might sound stupid, but do you do the rows in the chart the same way you do them with most charts - row 1 reading right to left, row 2 reading left to right? I have never encountered a chart that looks like this one, and I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. I love this pattern!
Thanks!
Shannon

Amy said...

Hi Shannon,
Thanks so much! Because you are knitting this in the round, you can read each row right to left. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Started this today. First 4 rows went fine. On row 5,
I end up with an extra stitch, so working the multiple of 12 on Row 6 isn't working b/c I have 13 stitches. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Suzanne

Amy said...

Hi Suzanne,
I'm sorry you are having trouble with this pattern. Take a look at the chart and you can see that it is like a series of colums: 5 sts, then a purl, then 6 stitches (total 12). You can take a look to see if the problem is happening in the first half or the second half because all the purl stitches should be lined up on top of each other. In the first half of the stitches, each decrease is paired with a yarnover, so the stitch count should always remain the same. For the second set of six stitches, make sure you follow the directions for the grey box - you should end up with 4 stitches at the end (with a yarnover on each side) for a total of 6 stitches in the second half of the row.

Let me know if that helps! If not, we can take a closer look.

Catherine said...

I found you through ravelry - this looks lovely, and I have Pinned it, as a reminder to try it out. Hope that's okay.