4.18.2014

A little freebie: Knitted Bow Headband and Hair Clip

I love making little things for little birdie's hair, not that she has much yet at 10 months.  She wore a few elastic headbands when she was really little but quickly outgrew them.  I really wanted something to go along with her holiday dress, but didn't want to use elastic for the band, so I knit one (and added a bow, too)!

Here is a little pattern for you:

Yarn: Fingering weight
Needles: US #2

Headband
CO 6 stitches and knit in garter stitch until band is desired length. Mine is 10.5" unstretched and 16" totally stretched out. Bind off and sew the ends together.  This doesn't have to be too pretty because you will cover it with the bow.

Bow
Piece no. 1 - Cast on 10 stitches and knit in garter stitch for 28 rows. Bind off and weave in the ends.
Piece no. 2 - Cast on 4 stitches and knit 10 rows. Bind off.

Making Up
Pinch Piece no. 1 in the middle making an "M" shape and place it on top of the seam of your headband. Wrap Piece no. 2 tightly around the middle of piece 1 and the headband and sew in place. Weave in your ends and you're done!


That's it!

To make a bow hairclip instead, I just knitted the bow and hot glued it to a ribbon covered hairclip using this tutorial to make it no-slip.


Cute!  And be on the look-out for a few more of these headband/hair clip tutorials.  I've got some other ideas in testing mode!

Like this post? See more! Connect with me on facebook, instagram, and pinterest!

1 comment :

Sarah N said...

Thanks for this excellent pattern! I had 10 yards of yarn left after knitting a baby dress and I was able to make two bows to go with it. :-) I worked them in seed stitch since the dress featured seed stitch.